Soon we will be caught up in the holiday spirit, unfortunately, so will criminals. Criminals know people will be preoccupied with holiday to-do lists, less attentive of their situational awareness, and people will have more valuables on them during the holiday season.
There is a reason why shopping centers hire more security guards during the holiday season. Local police know they will be receiving more calls for home burglaries.
You and your family can prevent yourself from being victimized by following some simple precautions, both at home and at shopping centers, which are listed below:
• Keep window blinds closed when not at home
• Keep outside lights on during night
• Post Holiday vacation pictures on social media after you have returned from vacation
• Have a trusted neighbor watch your house while away, collect mail, trash cans and maybe even park their car in your
driveway while you’re gone.
• Keep some inside lights on timers to go on and off at different times during night.
• Put a radio on a timer so it goes on and off at different times of the day.
SHOPPING CENTER PARKING LOTS
• Do not allow yourself to be distracted when heading to your car, no texting, no headphones, no cell phone.
• Have your keys in hand before leaving to go to the parking lot. Place a key between pointer and middle finger so it can
be used as a weapon.
• Park under a well-lit areas, and try to back in the parking spot for quick exit.
• Check your car before getting in, glance in backseat.
• When using your remote, use it in the mode that only unlocks the driver side door.
Read the rest of the article on pgs. 32-33 here
Happy Holidays, and stay safe!
Brent Grove is a Force Recon Marine Veteran and a Law enforcement officer with many years of experience in developing, testing,and producing ballistic products for both law enforcement and the personal protection market. Brent also is a NRA firearms instructor for both civilian and law enforcement.
We also provide firearms, hand defense, and in-home custom defensive training. For more information, go to http://www.wargrove.com/
For defensive products that aid in protecting you and family members visit http://www.santangear.com/